Tuesday, August 5, 2014
30 Weeks and We Aint Got "The Suga!!"
Comparatively speaking it is without doubt or notice that I have had a pretty awesome pregnancy thus far. Nothing out of the ordinary, no odd eating habits have developed, usual symptoms (some more odd than others but within the range of what is to be expected) all smooth sailing.
At the end of last week I had my glucose screening to rule out gestational diabetes. Basically you drink this god awful liquid (think of a super sweet flat orange soda), geek out on a sugar high while your doctor tries to examine you and all you want to do is cartwheels down the hall and then get your blood drawn after an hour. We can send men to the moon. Our technology and advances in modern medicine are unprecedented and this is how we determine if one has "the suga". Right. Well if you are like me and hypoglycemic then may I recommend not planning on doing much of anything for the rest of the day if and when you go through this god awful event.
After drinking the fluid in the lab, I went to my appointment on the 6th floor to meet with Dr. Wallis. Palms sweaty and already feeling the sugar rush I checked in, sat down and waited to be called in. Bouncing my way back into an exam room with a stop to check my weight (didn't even look this time so I literally don't know what the number is and don't care) I chat with the nurse .. yes all is good, no change in anything. Hit the loo for the usual peeing in the cup routine which logistically when you cannot see around your stomach starts to become a test to see how well you know where your parts are 'in the dark' and how well you can aim. Luckily I know where my parts are and my aim is what you could consider "sniper status" so far! (You are welcome).
Waiting in the room for the doctor felt like an eternity, probably because I was jacked up like a kid the day after Halloween and obsessively looking at the time to make sure I was able to make it back to the lab at exactly one hour after drinking the demon syrup. There was no way in hell I was going to screw this up and have to endure this again.
Dr.Wallis arrives and again, the same old same old. Ironically my blood pressure was lower than my previous visit (still in the awesome range) and Emmas heartbeat was 135, lower than her usual 143 ish. Upon measuring with the tape, Dr.Wallis mentions that Emma seemed a "bit big". I suggested that maybe Emma just inherited my ass, instead of Joes. Dr.Wallis mentions that a bigger baby could be a sign of gestational diabetes and she that wants to schedule our next appointment with a sonogram so we can get an idea as to how big our girl really is. Nothing like adding to the suspense!!
A hop back down to the lab after the appointment and my blood is drawn. I realize at 35 I should be well versed and used to having my blood drawn but it still makes my palms sweaty and I cannot watch the needle enter my arm.
The rest of the day was a day with an "off" stomach, no appetite and a major sugar crash that left me with a headache and slightly light headed. Thankfully a few days later, the test results came back negative and all my additional blood work also came back in the clear. Just knowing that everything continues to be smooth sailing and well is worth every drop of that fakakta nasty orange hate juice.
Our next appointment is the 20th, where we shall see our girl and get an idea as to how much of her mamas backside she may have inherited. Just knowing that with each day brings us closer to Emma makes my soul sing.
Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment