Monday, July 14, 2014

Moving on up... to the East Side....


Joe s parents live in East Syracuse as well as his brother, sister in law, nephews and an Aunt and Uncle all on one street ending in a cul de sac. Not together mind you, everyone has their own abode neatly tucked away in the suburban hills of manicured lawns, smiling neighbors who wave when you drive by surrounded by a serene quietness you do not experience when living basically in the middle of the city of Syracuse (as I type I can hear the lull of traffic, the murmur of motorcycles as Syracuse wakes up and heads into their day).

Months ago, I believe at the end of 2013 (pre prego) there was a house on that same very street that came up for sale. Joe with his parents and brother took a look at it and they brought up the idea of us moving out that way. Being non prego and loving the location of our home as well as the home itself we looked at each other like they had offered us to have our heads surgically removed and exchanged for the other. "Why in the world would we move from here" we thought. We live in the Sedgwick area of Syracuse. We have a 10 minute ride pending traffic to downtown or really anywhere in Syracuse. We have a pool in the backyard and our kitchen is huge and have the perfect house for a couple who likes to entertain. For me it's great because since I work everywhere I'm close to all of the major highways including the Thruway and every job is just a mere hop and a jump away. We have our places, our spots here.. Rileys, Shiftys, Lucky 7's, we like our neighbors. Why on EARTH would we possibly move?????

Then we became pregnant (sorry Mila Kunis I'm using the "we" are pregnant because I am.. if this is over your head, google it).

You start looking at your home to accommodate a new human being. Is it big enough? Is it safe? How many steps and stairs do we have? How many crimes have happened in our neighborhood? Oh, the city school district? The questions and concerns start piling up and your whole ideal as to what is best for you becomes what is best for your child. Will she exposed to crime in this neighborhood? How will being in the city school district affect her education? Will we have to get a gun (a discussion we actually had that was a huge RED FLAG), do we need to add more sensor lights around the house, is our security system adequate .. do we need video cameras, the list goes on and on.

Meanwhile the house that was for sale months ago still sits vacant and for sale.

A couple weeks ago prior to going to Sunday dinner (if you aren't aware of the Italian law of Sunday dinner, it's just that... at Joe's parents) the subject of the house was brought up again and this time Joe and I didn't look at each other with the same look 7 months ago. Instead, we stopped at the empty house and peered inside, walking around entertaining the notion of a possible move. By the time we arrived to his parents house (literally 2 houses down the street) we decided to pull the trigger and make an offer on the house.

Our offer was a respectable offer but not one we were confident was going to be approved. It wasn't. There was a counter offer by the owner of the house and then we countered his counter offer. Being that it was the July 4th weekend and we were planning to be out of town, we didn't expect word on the house until after we returned home and that's exactly what happened. I was on a job site about to use the ladies room and leave for the day when I get a text message to "call me when you can". I HATE it when Joe texts me that. My mind instantly goes "OMG, there was an accident" or "Do we need bread?" It lacks any sign of a good or bad reason to call. Yes, I've told Joe this. No, he doesn't get it. SO, I call him basically crossing my legs doing a dance in front of the bathroom door. It rings.... "Please don't be by the side of the road" is going through my head ... 'HEY!' (Joe).. Me: What's up? Joe: "Start packing! We got the house!"

When we both arrived home that day we just looked at each other like "YAYYY!!!" and "F@$!$#*K we have to move!?!?!?!" at the same time. This is actually happening. We are really having a baby. We are really moving out of a house we love. We are really making a ton of changes. We both really needed to sit down and start breathing. I probably would have poured myself a glass of wine or 3 if there wasn't that Fetal Alcohol Syndrome thing or the general notion of alcohol not being good for babies.

The following day we had an appointment to view the inside (Joe, again) and me for the first time. I know, right? Hey, I trust Joes instinct as well as what his family says. The stats and from what I saw on the outside and through the widows and pictures were that good for me to be on board is all I'm saying.

The viewing of the house proved them all right. (Thank you baby Jesus). A large family room similar to what we have now with high ceilings, sky lights and fans. 4 bedrooms. 2.5 baths with the 1/2 bath on the first floor (we don't have that now), closet space as in a walk in (amen), a large yard, we aren't crazy about the kitchen but could see the potential for making it our dream kitchen and the list goes on. The school district is ESM (good), walking distance to family (good), good neighborhood, we already know everyone who lives around there for the most part (including our immediate neighbors), 2 car garage attached to the house (baby + winter+ garage= happy mom), and overall? It just makes sense now as opposed to 7 months ago.

So it's on. Anyone looking to buy a lovely 3 bedroom home in Syracuse? :) Seriously, contact us if you are.






No comments:

Post a Comment