Sunday, May 18, 2014

What the hell is a Push Present!?


The first time I heard the term "push present" was only last month while in New Jersey for the weekend, surrounded by my ladies (sans one Californian) to celebrate Melissa's baby shower. As friends who have kids and the remaining of us expecting, naturally a lot of discussion centered around child birth, kids, pregnancy symptoms (I will spare you) and it was during this that the term "push present" was mentioned. I don't remember by whom or why but I remember asking " what the hell does that mean?"...

For anyone not familiar it's a gift or token if you will from husband or partner to their wife or significant other after the birth of the child, hence the push....present.

At the moment I didn't really think on it enough to form an absolute opinion and then one day back home I read an article in New York Magazine on just that topic. The point of view was from a woman who was anti push present and disgusted from overhearing ladies converse about their Mercedes or diamonds as their push present.

I asked some friends via Facebook on their thoughts and there was a stark divide between those who have received push presents and those who thought it was a materialistic and unnecessary ritual of the privileged. I think I'm stuck somewhere in the middle.

Who am I to tell someone not to give the mother of their child a present if they want for giving birth? It has nothing to do with me. Do I think it should be expected? No, but people do and again has nothing to do with me.

When I asked Joe his thoughts on 'push presents', he looked up at me with one brow up and said " what the hell is a push present?"... After I summarized the NY Mag article to him he replied with his usual shit grin "so.... You don't want a Lamborghini then?" ..... I reminded him that a car seat would probably not fit in one.  I then told him I wanted and expected nothing tangible from him after giving birth. All I wanted was his undivided attention and support, his sense of humor when I am in pain or frustrated and to work from home for the first week after we bring Emma home.

For me, and I speak only for myself and do not judge those who have received them.... I don't see how jewelry or a car or a free trip to the moon could compare or serve as a token of anything comparable to bringing a person into the world.  Again, just my opinion. Our child is a symbol and token of something so special... Of us, made by us, loved by us and that's all I need.

The Lamborghini can wait until Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment