Friday, May 16, 2014

18 weeks ♥ It's a GIRL!! and we shall name her, Emma Louise Courcy~

May 14th 2014


The day finally arrives. Yes, we waited 2 weeks since our last appointment and within the 2 week wait, nothing consumed my thoughts more than trying to determine on my own, based on no real logic or reason the gender of the person I am carrying/growing.

I would say the majority of people have guessed "boy". Joe's mother who had 3 boys of her own and has 3 grandsons and 2 granddaughters suspected a boy and since she accurately guessed the gender of all those children I have to say I was leaning towards a boy at this point, as was Joe. For the record, we want a healthy baby and did not have our hearts set on any one gender.

Up at the crack of dawn, well... earlier around 5:30am I couldn't help but wonder exactly what to expect for the day. A couple of work assignments out of the way and we would meet up at the 2pm appointment on "the hill".

With overflowing glee I arrived to the office almost 20 minutes early. When I texted Joe that I arrived, he replied with "parking"... which I couldn't help but smile at. Apparently I wasn't the only one anxious to get the show on the road.

I thought the 2 weeks were a torturous wait but no.. waiting for your name to be called might in fact be worse. I'm pretty sure that when we were called in, I leaped up and skipped towards the ultra sound tech room with the biggest smile on my face. Joe followed, equally as excited.

This ultra sound was also to do an "anatomy scan". Heart, kidneys, stomach, brain, legs, arms belly, umbilical cord. Not only checking to make sure all parts are there and functioning but also to make sure that oxygen is flowing which is determined by a flip of a switch to see the pulsating colors of red and blue through each organ. FASCINATING. The technician who told me her name but of course I cannot remember asked us if we wanted to know the gender and we said in unison "YES!", thinking this bit of information would be the first to know. Turns out, it was the last... which was perfectly fine. Obviously organ functions are a bit more important to check on than the genitalia.

From our 12 week ultra sound to today, the difference is astonishing. Growth, visible body parts, the profile. We could make out the nose, the lips, fingers. According to the scan, our babe is so far perfect! The babe was also incredibly active and as we are told, is a very good sign. So last but not least it was time to find out if we were having a daughter or a son.

Naturally, the babe had its legs crossed and both hands on its cheeks (facial cheeks) a la Home Alone. I had to excuse myself to use the restroom (pain in the ass considering I'm covered in goo and have a paper blanket tucked into my underwear.. no elegant way of getting yourself together after that) and returned in hopes that would help maneuver the babe. It didn't. So I had to turn to my side, then back on my back, then the side again and then back to my back and just when I think that we aren't going to know we hear....

"IT'S A GIRL!!!"

Since I was already holding Joe's arm, I looked over in tears and Joe's face was priceless. Eyes bulging out of his head and his mouth wide open turned my happy tears in to a happy belly laugh (which is neat to see on the ultrasound as well too). A girl. We are having a girl. A LITTLE GIRL!!!!!!!!!!

I teased Joe on the way out of the office "Wasn't your house a bachelor pad (it was, rather not know details) once? ... look at it now, run by your ladies (me, Winnie and now Emma)" I believe a few of his friends used the term "karma" to describe him having a daughter. I suggested that our house anthem (not that we've had one before but we can now) be Beyonce's "Who Runs The World"... but I'm not so sure he's having it but it's something he'll have to get used to :)

EMMA LOUISE COURCY

The funny thing is, we decided on Emma Louise a few weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Emma was the only name we both liked. Simple, easy, feminine. The middle name of Louise stems from my family. My Aunt Diane Louise passed of breast cancer in her early 30's and my sister was named after her. I wanted a bit of my family to be in the name since Courcy is her last name and Emma has no connection to my family at all. Joe liked it as well so that was the easiest part! What's funny is that we couldn't agree on a boys name and I can honestly say that if we were told it was a boy? It'd be some time before we figured that name out. I've been asked if we would change our mind since we are only 18 weeks in at this point and we won't. Emma Louise just feels right. That's her name and we couldn't be more blessed that we are now.

More important than her name, the doctor informed us that our recent Quad screenings came back (essentially) negative, Emma is at 9 oz (perfect size for her age), blood work is excellent and we are on the right path so far! As long as there are no concerns we won't have another appointment for 4 weeks :)

My heart couldn't be filled with more love if I tried and now that we know it's a girl, it's a bit more real for us now. Now, on to planning her room. The colors (I may have already had mental palates of color in my head for both genders) will be lavender and a dark tan/brown.

I write this as my friend Melissa is in her hospital room awaiting the birth of her little girl (Emma's future BFF)... I couldn't be more proud of her at this moment and can barely contain my tears when thinking of our incredibly lucky lives. To you, Melissa. ♥ xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment