Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I'm Running To The Store

2/20/14

My life is a series of incidents that fall under what people would call "Murphy's Law". If I'm running late, which is rare and usually throws me into a fit of anxiety, I always get stuck behind a school bus, a 357 year old driver or something like a UPS or garbage truck making numerous spots. If I have ample time and am heading somewhere early not only is there zero traffic but I can always find a parking spot, usually very close to the doors and I'm the first on arrival. There are numerous examples that I could demonstrate but I simply rather move on.

Well, evidently becoming pregnant also falls under the line of M.L experiences. There have been numerous times when Joe and I waited in wonder for either my cycle or something, eagle focused on the issue, constantly talking about it and spending numerous trips to the store and money on pregnancy tests only to find out my cycle was in wait like the southern wind before winding up into a tornado ripping out one lonely farm house at a time.

So this month as the expected cycle "start time" came and went we just looked at each other and said "Eh, let's just wait awhile. This always happens." Even my dear friend Melanie (Prego/Baby Yoda) said "this happens to you all the time" validating my response to put the car keys down, put the wallet away, remove the jacket and return to the couch with my kindle.... and then there's that moment as I have heard many a women say "When you Know".... which was last night.

My work assignment was cut short so I was home enthralled in a book (Unbroken, Lauren Hillenbrand) cudling on the couch with Winnie (our sweet dog) when I realized that on top of being late for my cycle (and I'm sorry I hate the word period. I use cycle. That's what I'm using here) my boobs were not only ginormous but beyond sore. Moving, walking too fast and a light brush and I would look down as if someone was stabbing them with a knife. I was also getting these weird cramp like sensations and bloating which wanted to feel like menstruation cramps but weren't. Something different was happening. Joe and I discussed going through the test routine in a couple days but I realized at that moment, I was pretty sure I was in fact pregnant and I needed to know 5 minutes before I had this realization.

Joe had gone off to meet some friends briefly after work so I called him to tell him I was going to the store. His request? To wait for him to take the test. Shoot me now. It should be apparent by now that I have little to no patience. To be home with the test by 5:45pm and not being able to take it until 7:20 pretty much aged me a couple years.

I had bought the early detection EPT test. The one where you look for the cross in the circle. Our results? To Joe, inconclusive because it was only a faint line crossing the other line. Upon consulting with my friend Melanie via pictures and Google images I was certain that we were with child. Joe asked me "Why wouldn't you buy the one that says "Pregnant" "Not Pregnant" and grabs his jacket to purchase such tests. Returning with his preferred test, another dip in the cup supported my initial conclusion. We are pregnant.

Now, I'm sure this will be asked as I've heard many people ask other Pregos. "Did you plan it?" Etc. All I can say is that we weren't planning or weren't attempting to really prevent it. So I guess we were in a way, right? I mean if you do not want to have a child, then you take measures to make sure it doesn't happen. It's not rocket science. At 35, Joe at 34 we have talked about age, time, resources and for all we have been through and how strong our relationship is now and where we are in life in general just seems like the right next step in our lives.

By Melanie's calculation, like I said, Yoda... I am about 6 weeks and 3 days with the possible expected birth day of October 14th.

Let the journey begin :)  ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment